Popular Posts

February 26, 2011

wd50: the creative art of cooking

Last night, my husband and I dined at wd50, chef Wylie Dufresne's restaurant on the lower east side. I consider myself adventurous, but I don't think molecular gastronomy is for me.  Don't get me wrong, I applaud the chef for creating appetizers like spaghetti made from shrimp, a salad of cuttlefish & gelatinous root beer cubes and aerated foie gras, but my interest was piqued far more than my palate. Much of the fun of dining at wd50 is learning what your eating and how it had been prepared. Like the lamb skirt steak Jason ate, which had been cooked at 69 degrees for over 15 hours. Think about that...I don't even think you can set an oven at that low of a temperature! My mediterranean sea bass was cooked sous-vide, a term we learned last night to mean sealed in an airtight plastic bag in a water bath for over a long period of time.

While we enjoyed the chef's creativity, bringing us to try new flavors, textures and combinations (dessert combination: milk chocolate, black bean, plantain sorbet, soy milk and peanut) I'd never imagined, this Chicago girl's conservative taste would prefer something a little less "molecular" next time.